E-News February 2013by APA Regional and Intergovernmental Planning Division on 03/07/13
Division Receives Overall Performance Award
APA's Divisions Council Awards Committee recently announced that the Regional and Intergovernmental Planning Division will be receiving the 2012 Overall Division Performance Award for Small Divisions from the APA Divisions Council at the National Conference in Chicago. Key elements of the Division's program include: a commitment to nominating qualified Division members to the College of Fellows of AICP; ongoing educational efforts including the Mid-Atlantic Regional Planning Roundtable, water quality webinars on the Chesapeake Bay region, and future webinars on cross-border regional planning in Texas and California; improved communication and outreach efforts (recognized by the Divisions Council in 2011); and ongoing legislative efforts. Congratulations to the Division!
Division-Sponsored Events at APA Chicago
The following are Division-sponsored events at APA 2013 in Chicago:
- Sunday, 14 April | 11:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Sunday, 14 April | 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. (part of business meeting)
RIGP Division-sponsored Facilitated Discussion
Speakers: Bob Leiter, Consultant
Maria Zimmerman, MZ Strategies
Ben Bakkenta, Puget Sound Regional Council
Harrison Rue, ICF International
As part of the Division's Business Meeting, there will be a facilitated discussion of the future of the HUD/DOT/EPA Sustainable Communities Initiative (SCI). Respondents will include a former leader of the SCI, a researcher on the effectiveness of the program, and a grant recipient. Audience members will have the opportunity to contribute to the facilitated discussion.
- Tuesday, 16 April | 10:30 a.m.
RIPD Division By-Right Session
Speakers: Alexander Bond, ICF International
Kate Ange, Renaissance Planning Group
Paul Niedzwiecki, Cape Cod Commission
Peter Imhof, Santa Barbara Association of Governments
*Note: Session listed on APA's website as Challenges in Regional Planning
Scenario planning and analysis is a planning methodology that compares future conditions to identify optimal infrastructure improvements. Scenario planning can be used in a wide variety of planning specialty areas. This session will bring together experts who have used scenario planning in transportation planning, land use planning, and water quality planning. It will focus on the innovations, tools, and techniques that have advanced the state of the practice.
Proposed Division Bylaw Changes
The proposed APA Division bylaws for FY13 have been posted on the Documents page . The following is a summary of the significant modifications including references to specific sections in the proposed bylaws where these changes are found.
1. Strengthen Communications within Division Membership: The Division's communications activities will continue to include a monthly E-News, the conversion of our newsletter to an extensive E-Journal, and improvements to the Division's website. Proposed bylaws would provide for the addition of a Communications Officer to serve on the Division's Executive Committee and creation of a Communications Committee. See sections 4.0 and 5.3 of the proposed bylaws.
2. Strengthen Division Membership: Our Division is one of only four APA divisions to stabilize its membership over the past five years, ranging between 170 and 185 members. However, we must do more. In the past year, a membership survey indicated the need for a Membership Officer to serve on the Executive Committee of the Division and to also head a Membership Committee. See sections 4.0 and 5.4 of the proposed bylaws.
3. Change Title of Vice-Chair for National Planning to Vice-Chair for Federal Policy: This modification to the position more accurately reflects current Division activities regarding federal policy and strengthens this particular role. See sections 3.0, 3.6, 4.0, and 5.1 of the proposed bylaws.
Division members have until April 6th, 2013 to review and comment on the proposed by-law changes. Please transmit any questions or suggestions to either Rocky Piro, our current Chair, at: Rocky.Piro@denvergov.org; or to Lee Schoenecker, a past Chair, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. It is our intention to vote upon these bylaw changes at our annual Division Meeting on April 14th at the National APA Conference in Chicago.